What do we want? CAKE! When do we want it? ALL THE TIME!!
I’ve been watching my carb intake for hmm… like, a week. All in aid of my bid to be ‘healthy’. It’s been going fine, so, of course, I think I need to reward all this reckless healthy behaviour with a big fat slice of cake! (Back on the wagon tomorrow 😉
I love a bit of Great British Bake Off, one of my many guilty pleasures.
This strawberry cake is so easy to make and sooo delicious. Perfect really!
Go on, treat yourself! Here’s how you can knock one up in no time….
- 3 large eggs – separated,
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar,
- grated rind and juice of 1 orange,
- 75g (3oz) semolina.
- FOR THE FILLING AND THE TOPPING:
- 100g (4oz) strawberries,
- 1 passion fruit,
- 150ml (1/4 pint) whipping or double cream, whipped,
- icing sugar to finish.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/Fan 160 degrees/Gas 4.
- Grease a 20cm (8in) deep round cake tin, then line the base with baking parchment.
- Measure the egg yolks, sugar, grated orange rind and juice, and the semolina into a bowl and beat until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry, then gently fold into the orange and semolina mixture and turn into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until well risen and the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then turn out, peel of the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Reserve a few strawberries to decorate the top of the cake then slice the remainder.
- Halve the passion fruit and scoop out the pulp.
- To fill the cake, cut it in half horizontally and sandwich the slices together with the sliced strawberries, passion fruit pulp and whipped cream.
- Just before serving, decorate with the reserved strawberries, sliced or left whole, and sieve some icing sugar over the top.
Et volia!! A delicious strawberry cake to devour for breakfast…eh hem, I mean, pudding 😉